Saturday 2 July 2016

Bible Reading #192 - The Dove

The Dove

Genesis 8

Every day I feel is a blessing from God. And I consider it a new beginning. Yeah, everything is Beautiful. - Prince
I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 11) "The dove came to him in the evening, and in its beak was a freshly picked olive leaf. Then Noah knew that the water was gone from the earth." (v. 20) "Noah built an altar to the LORD. On it he made a burnt offering of each type of clean animal and clean bird."

So I've kinda been on a Genesis binge lately. I read something, I think in a book (I can't remember now) that said the Bible is still a book that has an order. You don't take a story book or a novel and open it up to a random page. You start from the beginning. I decided that I should do the same here. I know I've been a bit out of order still, due to me forgetting which chapters I've already posted about. So I'm going to finish Genesis and then move on to Exodus and so forth.

My Thoughts

Noah sent out a dove that returned later in the evening with an olive branch. Upon seeing the olive branch, Noah knew that the water was gone from the earth. Now this is kind of a small detail. A simple olive branch told so much... At that time, in that situation, I'm sure it would really have been a large detail. Couldn't Noah just look out a window on the ark though? I don't know, seems funny to think about!

What came to my mind is to pay attention to the small details. To me, this was a small detail. To Noah, probably a lot bigger. We often miss the little things. I talked more...in detail...about details...previously. There are 2 posts. First one. Second one. Go read them if you would like!
white dove
Pretty little dove!

After my Grandma passed away, I went to make a small painting for my mom and one of my aunts. I really do mean small, by the way. The canvas is the size of the palm of my hand. I made it on 2 of these canvases, so they could each have one. It had images relating to them and my Grandma in the middle. On image was a dove, with the olive branch. I like to think of Grandma as that dove now because Noah sent the dove to survey the land. My Grandma is now in Heaven and surveys the land as well. Just thought I'd share that!

You may be wondering what verse 20 really has to do with I have said here. Well, I put it in there because it sounds horrifyingly funny! Genesis 8:20 basically sounds like Noah took some of the animals he saved on the ark and sacrificed them! It sounds awful, doesn't it? Maybe that's what really happened to the dinosaurs... Noah! How could you?! In all seriousness, Noah actually took 7 pairs of these animals on the ark specifically for this purpose. Go back and read Genesis 7:2-3.

Well, I guess. That is all I had thought of for Genesis 8. Just, once again to pay attention to small details. We may not always realize, but we should try. The more you remember and perceive of the world around you, the more you will see and realize and understand and do.





Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

1 comment :

  1. I think going through Genisis first and carrying on in sequence of the Bible is a great idea!
    Thanks for sharing about Grandma! It's awesome to think of her that way! Bless You!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!