Saturday 16 July 2016

Bible Reading #196 - Beautiful Wife

Beautiful Wife

Genesis 12

Every day I feel is a blessing from God. And I consider it a new beginning. Yeah, everything is Beautiful. - Prince
I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 13) "Please say that you are my sister. Then everything will be alright for me and because of you I will live.' " (v. 17-18) "However, the LORD struck Pharaoh and his household with terrible plagues because of Sarai, Abram's wife. Then Pharaoh called for Abram. 'What have you done to me?' he asked. 'Why didn't you tell me that she is your wife?"

My Thoughts

Abram's wife, Sarai, was very beautiful. It seems that men from pretty much any city they went to were attracted to Sarai. I believe at that time that if a man, especially someone of power or authority, wanted a woman who was married, he would take the woman and kill the husband. This is the reason Abram would tell Sarai to say that she is his sister instead of his wife.

Obviously Abram was lying and also having his wife lie for him. That's never a good thing to do. Yes, it all worked out well in the end with Abram receiving gifts, but that doesn't make it right. No matter what, Abram should not have lied, or tell Sarai to, and he should have trusted God.

My biggest question here is why would God afflict Pharaoh and his house with plagues, especially if Abram lied? I understand that Abram was under God's protection, no matter what, and God's plans cannot be foiled by anyone for any reason, but that is the only thing that confounds me. Even without Abram, God could have brought His plan to fruition.

Maybe God did this to, of course protect Sarai and Abram, and possibly to show Himself to Pharaoh. If God hadn't afflicted plagues on Pharaoh, Pharaoh would have no reason to talk to Abram and would know nothing about the Lord God. There is also the fact that Sarai would have been with probably more than a few different men.

It is totally understandable that Abram did not want to die, and was afraid of such a thing happening. Would Abram have actually been killed though? He obviously believed so strongly that he would that he was willing to lie. Sometimes we humans can be pretty irrational though.

What I get out of this is that, well obviously that we shouldn't lie. Even though God worked everything out in the end, Abram still lied and it caused bad things to happen to Pharaoh and likely tension between the two. The second thing I get out of this is that God can work anything out for good. Any bad things you've done or you've had happen to you, God can make it all work out for the best. Just remember to trust God and not take matters into your own hands. God knows what He is doing!




Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!