Saturday 4 June 2016

Bible Reading #184 - That's Not Yours!

That's Not Yours!

1 Kings 21

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 3-4) "Naboth told Ahab, 'The LORD has forbidden me to give you what I inherited from my ancestors.' Resentful and upset, Ahab went home because of what Naboth from Jezreel had told him. So Ahab lay on the couch, turned his face from everyone, and refused to eat." (v. 7) "His wife Jezebel said to him, 'Aren't you king of Israel? Get up, eat, and cheer up. I'll give you the vineyard belonging to Naboth from Jezreel.' " (v. 13) "The two good-for-nothing men came in and sat opposite him. In front of the people, these men accused Naboth of cursing God and the king. So the people stoned him to death outside the city."

My Thoughts

We all have our wish lists, right? Things that you want, however realistic or not it is for you to actually get them at some point. Your dream house, car, devices and and a giant TV, not to mention a beast of a computer. Those clothes that cost a fortune. Often, we look at other people's stuff and we want things that they have.

Envy is not a good thing. It can cause you to become hateful or to do things that you normally would not in order to satisfy the envy. I believe there is a huge difference between envy and just wanting something someone else has. I can look at someone's coat and say, "Wow, I love that coat! I want one like it," but my heart does not want to take it from them.

I would say that the problem lies in trying to obtain what someone else has that you want any way you can. It starts with small, innocent things like offering compensation for it. If that doesn't work, a person can become depressed or angry about not getting what they want. Ahab really wanted Naboth's vineyard, but he would not give it to him. Ahab went home upset and depressed about it.

Interestingly, it was not Ahab who tried to take the vineyard by force, but his wife. Jezebel hired some men to accuse Naboth and have him killed. Ahab didn't stop her, knowing that she was up to something. After this happened, Ahab went to confiscate the vineyard and Elijah spoke to him.

So what do you do when you want something that someone else has?
Do you leave it alone? Try to obtain it somehow? Get your own?

I usually leave it alone or get my own somehow, if that's possible. If not, I make note of it because I want to remember it for the possibility of it being possible to obtain in the future. Most of the time, I forget about it anyway.

When you come across this kind of situation, try to leave it alone or make a note of it to remember what it is you want. There's nothing wrong with wanting things, even if it is something someone else has. It becomes wrong when your desire for it overcomes you and you become envious. When you will go to great lengths to obtain it, at (almost) any cost, that's a huge issue.




Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!