Sunday 12 June 2016

Bible Reading #187 - 900 Years Old?

900 Years Old?

Genesis 5

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 4) "After Adam became the father of Seth, he lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters." (v. 20) "Jared lived a total of 962 years; then he died." (v. 27) "Methuselah lived a total of 969 years; then he died."

My Thoughts

Back in Adam's time up to the time of Noah, people lived so very long! 500 years, 800 years, 900 years. How was this possible? That didn't really happen, did it? I believe it did. If people only lived as long as we do now back then, I don't think the human race could have multiplied.

If it is not true that people lived for hundreds of years, and the lifespan was as long as it is now, we would have to assume that childbearing age would be what it is now as well. That mean that Adam and Eve would have had Cain and Abel around 25 years old. Their other sons and daughters would have had to be born within the next 25 years as well.

If it worked like that, people would be having kids constantly, in short periods of time and doing almost nothing else! How ridiculous does that sound? Gives me a funny image for sure! So we know that people did actually live hundreds of years. Now, why or how did they? Did they walk with God? Did God just decide it to be so?

Next week, I will post my thoughts my reading Genesis 6. That post will answer that question. If you already know, awesome! I encourage you to go read Genesis before next week anyway. When you do, come back and tell me the answer.


Methuselah
Image courtesy of
www.geni.com
Methuselah was the oldest living person. He lived 969 years. Wow! I've heard the name Methuselah before without reference to the Bible, at least not directly. The name was used as an insult to an old person in some show I forget the name of. You know what's interesting about that? The meaning of Methuselah's name. You can read more information about that here.

The meaning of the name Methuselah is not definitive. There are three possibilities, at least according to that site. One possibility is "when he is dead, it shall be sent." 'it' meaning deluge which was the flood. I find it interesting because Noah was born probably 5 years before Methuselah died. Granted, the flood did not happen until 600 years later.

To call someone Methuselah would not be an insult, even if it meant that way. If anything, it would be a compliment! The last thing I want to do here is answer the question from yesterday's post. The question was "where did all the other people come from?" And the answer to that I believe can only be Adam and Eve's "other sons and daughters" as spoken of in verse 4. It is the only logical explanation I can find because that information is given. Anything else would be speculation.

Come back Saturday to see the answer to today's question: "Why/how did people live hundreds of years?"



Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!