Sunday 19 June 2016

Bible Reading #189 - The Great Flood

The Great Flood

Genesis 7

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 12) "and rain came pouring down on the earth for 40 days and 40 nights." (v. 19) "The water rose very high above the earth. It covered all the high mountains everywhere under the sky." (v. 24) "The floodwaters were on the earth for 150 days."

My Thoughts

Can you imagine having rain for 40 days? That would suck! Even if the level was extremely low. There have been times where it has rained for hours or days. That can be a little scary sometimes. Especially when floods do start happening. Though God did promise that He'd never flood the earth again.
This is nowhere CLOSE to the Great Flood's rain...

When we get floods, it can be anything from 3cm deep, upwards. That's in your house anyway. Outside, it's considered a flood if it's 6cm deep. It's a little scary to think of the earth being completely covered with water and absolutely no land. It was entirely an oceanic planted! No thank you! I like my feet on ground and I don't want sharks sniffin' 'em!

Really though, mountains covered by 20 feet? 150 days? No! I no want! The Bible doesn't specifically mention water creatures though. Did they all die as well? The birds died. My first thought with that was "How?! Couldn't they fly?" Well, duh, no land, meaning nowhere to land... They can't fly forever. But the fish... They live in water. So how can a flooded earth kill them? Did it even? It does say every living thing died. Does that mean there were fish on the ark as well?

I think that's the only thing that confuses me. Well, that and that why does Genesis 7:2-3 say 7 pairs of (clean) animals? Wasn't it only 1 pair of every animal? If you want to know more about that, I suggest you go here for a short explanation. I also just realized, as I am typing this, that nothing I've talked about has anything to do with how we can live better lives, centered on God.

So, what can we get out of this chapter of Genesis? Well, it shows that God is merciful. He did not completely destroy His creation because He loved us too much. Noah and his family were the only ones at the time who were not filed with evil desire. If God destroyed them too, none of us would be here today.




Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!