Saturday 11 June 2016

Bible Reading #186 - Adam and Eve's Other Children

Adam and Eve's Other Children

Genesis 4

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 13-15) "But Cain said to the LORD, 'My punishment is more than I can stand! You have forced me off this land today. I have to hide from you and become a fugitive, a wanderer on the earth. Now anyone who finds me will kill me!' So the LORD said to him, 'Not so! Anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.' The LORD gave Cain a sign so that anyone meeting him would not kill him."

My Thoughts

We know that Adam and Eve were the first people on Earth. Their children, as mentioned by name, were Cain, Abel. Seth was born after Cain killed Abel. When God sent Cain away, Cain said that anyone who finds finds him will kill him. So God gave him a sign so that no one would. My question is: where did the other people who might have killed him come from? Cain also had a wife, and again, where did she come from?


It's a little bit confusing because, at least right now, the Bible hasn't mentioned this. So we really only have a couple options here. Either one, God made them as well after Adam and Eve and the Bible does't explicitly explain this. Or two, They were all children of Adam and Eve, and again, it's not explicitly laid out for us that this is the way it is.

Read ahead to chapter 5 of Genesis. I won't talk about that today, but maybe leave it for tomorrow. I just know that when I read Genesis 4, I was a little confused. I have read through the Bible once or twice already, but I have not memorized every part of it, so it confused me a bit.

The main thing is that the Bible only mentions Cain and Abel. Sometimes I don't understand why there is no mention of name for some people in the Bible. Or why things like this are not explained exactly as it is. Either way, there is one other thing I want to talk about.

Cain said that his punishment is more than he can stand. Have you ever heard that (saying?)/(quote?) that says, "God will never give you more than you can handle." I want to ask you, do you believe that? The Bible never makes any mention of it. If you take a look at this post over at http://www.aumethodists.org/ they explain why this is not true.

The gist of it is that the saying is not biblical. It does not come from the Bible. God does allow us to bear heavy burdens that we cannot handle alone. We have the church and our friends to bear our burdens with us. And we know that God is always with us. God will help us through our burdens. He won't take them away, but He will help us through them.




Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

2 comments :

  1. It took me a while to realize that quote wasn't in the Bible. We get through things like you said, with the Church, friends, family and most of all GOD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I used to believe that quote for a long time as well.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!