Saturday 7 May 2016

Bible Reading #176 - Strange Rules

Strange Rules

Deuteronomy 22

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 6-7) "Whenever you are travelling and find a nest with chicks or eggs, this is what you must do. If the mother bird is sitting on the nest, never take her with the chicks. You may take the chicks, but make sure you let the mother go. Then things will go well for you and you will live for a long time." (v. 9-12) "Never plant anything between the rows in your vineyard. Otherwise you will have to give everything that grows there to the holy place. This includes the crop you planted and the grapes from the vineyard. Never plow with an ox and donkey harnessed together. Never make clothes made of wool and linen woven together. Make tassels on the four corners of the shawl you wear over your clothes.

My Thoughts

These are just a few verses of which I am sure there are many others. Tell me, do you understand these rules laid out in Deuteronomy 22? I do not. At least not all of them. What is wrong with wool and linen woven together? Letting the mother chick go makes sense so that she can lay more eggs and have more chicks. An ox and a donkey together would probably be a bad combination.

God has His reasons for these things. The reason a donkey and an ox harnessed together would be bad is probably because they are very different animals, in terms of size and of strength. The donkey will have a hard time because the ox is to strong and big for it to keep up with. I absolutely cannot, for the life of me, figure out the linen or the tassels on a shawl.

Maybe those two things are so that they would be set apart in terms of how they dress? Honestly, all of these I found to be a bit strange. Some of them simply because I don't know why it had to be mentioned and given as a rule. These two in particular, I have no clue. I can really only think that it would set them apart in clothing from other nations.

There has to be some reason. We may never know what that reason is. I'm sure if you were to look it up, you'd find something though. I don't like doing that a whole lot because this blog is supposed to be my thoughts, not so much research. And I am also bad at doing references... Either way, I've already given my only logical thought about these two particulars for clothing. I have more to say about the the idea of strange rules.

Sometimes there will be rules or instructions that seem strange. Especially if you don't know much about the subject those rules pertain to beforehand. Maybe it's a cultural difference or a topic you don't know about like me with computer programming. You may think, "Well, why is this? Couldn't it go quicker/better this way?" Chances are, it has to be a certain way for the results to be most effective.

My point is that, just because rules seem strange, does not mean that they are stupid or that you can choose not to follow them. If you do that in another country, sometimes it ends really badly. If there is a rule, then usually it is there for a reason. If you are unsure, then think about it first. Do you actually know enough in that situation to be able to say that a rule is pointless? Do you have something similar to compare the situation to? Is there someone you can talk to that either knows more or can discuss with you?

If you are even in doubt with a tough situation, always pray. God will help you through it, even if you feel He isn't.



Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!