Saturday 16 April 2016

Bible Reading #170 - Devote Yourself to Prayer

Devote Yourself to Prayer

Colossians 4

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 2) "Keep praying. Pay attention to when you offer prayers of thanksgiving." (v. 5-6) "Be wise in the way you act toward those who are outside the Christian faith. Make the most of your opportunities. Everything you say should be kind and well thought out so that you know how to answer everyone."

My Thoughts

We know that prayer is extremely important. How is it important? You tell me what your thoughts are, then I'll tell you mine. What do you use prayer for? How do you pray? What does prayer men to you?

Do you pray when you are down and need comfort? How about when you or someone else needs healing? When you want something, do you pray? I do all these things too. But do you ever pray to thank God? How about just to talk to Him? I was reminded of a pictured I shared about a year ago or more. It had a quote by Stormie Omartian on it. That quote was this: "Prayer is not just asking for things... prayer is talking with God.

And that is exactly what prayer is! Simply talking with God. Simple as that. I talk to God often. When I am angry, upset, sad, even when I am happy about something. I also have a morning and a night routine where I talk to God. I say pretty well the same ting each time, but I add things or change it up as I feel. I should be just talking to God more, and I want to, and from now on, I will make an effort to.

Now there's nothing wrong with asking God for things, even if it is for a particular game or book or opportunity. You can totally ask for those things. Just remember that God is not a genie to grant our every wish. Prayer is our tool to communicate with God and God's tool to act in this world. Yes, it is our job to call on God. We still have to do more than just that because God won't do everything for us without us having any part. He acts through what we do.

I don't even think that we are required to talk to God in a specific way. I had a conversation with a friend about this a month or so ago. I don't believe that we have to pray in a certain position like sitting or laying. I don't even think we have to say something like 'Dear God...' to start or 'Amen.' to finish. God hears us either way and He cares that we talk to Him. I don't think God cares about how we sit when we do or how we start or end the conversation.

As followers of Christ, we are to live like He did. No, we won't be perfect and we are not expected to be. But we follow Jesus as our role model. That includes, and it is probably most important, in how we interact with others. Not just our actions toward them, but around them and even not around them. I say even when we are not around those who don't follow Jesus because otherwise, that would imply being fake.

It also has to do with conversation. Again, with non-believers, around them and when we are not around them. Treat others, whether brothers and sisters in Jesus or not, with love and speak with love. We should show the love of Jesus in all that we do. It should be easy for those around us to see, even at a distance.

I joke with my friends a lot and will pretend to slap them. It is all in fun, and I mean no harm or malice and they know that. As I was typing above, I thought about this. If that was observed at a distance, it might not be seen that way. Of course, I laugh and my friends give me a playful look, so maybe it would. Hmm. How would you take it?

If you saw someone swipe their hand in front of someone's face, smile and maybe laugh, and the other person look at them squinting with a half smile or smirk on their face, and then they both continue to talk or whatever they were doing, what would you think?

Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!