Saturday 19 March 2016

Bible Reading #162 - Stay Pure

Stay Pure

Genesis 38

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 16) "Since he didn't know she was his daughter-in-law, he approached her by the roadside and said, 'Come one, let's sleep together!' She asked, 'What will you pay to sleep with me?' "

My Thoughts

The first thing I want to say about this reading is how could Judah not recognize that this was his daughter-in-law who he was sleeping with? I know she covered her face, but did she also keep her face covered when they were together? He didn't recognize her voice? I honestly don't get it.

Either way, Judah had finished mourning the loss of his wife. Now, he was wanting to sleep with a woman hire. Also, why would Tamar allow this? Why would she agree to it when she was supposed to be given to Judah's son?

The only thing I can really think to say about this is to not do the same thing. Have you ever heard of a purity ring or a promise ring? A friend of mine in high school had one and when I asked him about it, he said, "Oh, it's a Christian thing." So I looked it up. What it means is that you keep yourself pure until marriage, or you promise yourself to your future spouse. I have such a ring now myself.

Even if you don't care about anything spiritual or don't believe in God, there are other risks like that of infection. Even debt can come of it. That's not really something you want to be risking. You don't need to have a purity ring; it is not required. Something physical like that is a good reminder though.

In this particular case, what Judah did was wrong, but Tamar's actions were also wrong. Judah's sin is quite obvious, sleeping with a woman for hire (though that's not what she actually was.) Tamar led him on to that act, went along with it, allowed it, and never told him. She lied and deceived him.

Please don't do the same, for your sake and for the sake of the others involved.


Previous PostNext Post






Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!