Thursday 12 November 2015

A Story About My Uncle First impression

A Story About My Uncle is a heavily story based game where you play as a nephew trying to find his uncle, Fred. I love the narration of the game, which is from this nephew's perspective, telling his daughter a bedtime story. The telling of the story takes place in the present, but the story, which you actually see and are a part of, takes place in the past. It's like two timelines intertwined!

The path of A Story About My Uncle is linear, (at least from my experience so far!) save for a couple secrets that you can collect by visiting secret areas and are used to unlock other secrets. You get around from place to place with more than just walking, running and jumping. In fact, the mechanics of the game is really just movement, there's nothing much else that you get to do. What makes the gameplay unique is the way in which you move around and travel and what you use to do so.

You start off just being able to walk, run and jump, then very quickly acquire a suit that has a few special abilities. One ability is that you are now extra strong, long falls will not harm you and you can carry extra weight without feeling it. The second doesn't really have any impact on playing the game, but only certain parts in the story. The first just takes all fall damage out of the game.

The main abilities that you actually get to use and control are the grapple and charge abilities. Later on, you get another special one, but I won't ruin the surprise! Grapple is probably the one you make use of the most. It is used to attach yourself with an energy cord to pretty much any surface and it automatically reels you in. You can use it swing and also to reach distant areas carefully and safely. The charge ability allows you to do a powerful vertical or horizontal jump.

Early in the game, you come across a character named Maddie. She speaks English, and so do the rest of her people, but they don't seem to know what certain items are. Maddie also is not human. I don't know for sure what she is, but as the game says, she seems to be some kind of salamander humanoid creature.

A Story About My Uncle is really a great game that is fun to play, and to figure out how you're going to get to where you need to go. There are many times where I keep failing and have to figure out how to be the most efficient with the limited use of my gear. For example, you can only grapple a few times while you're in the air, so you can't just grapple everywhere and never have to walk. I love this game very much so far, and I love the story and I definitely recommend it! If you want to take a look at my first video on it, you can do so below, and if you enjoy it and want to see more, click my name above the video to visit my YouTube channel! Don't forget to subscribe while you're there!

1 comment :

  1. I really enjoyed watching this series and look forward to seeing more!!! It's so much fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!

Heart Page Buttons YouTube Twitter Facebook Pinterest Tumblr Google Plus Bible Reading List Main Website