Sunday 8 November 2015

Daily Bible Reading with DragoNate #49

Rest for the Weary

Matthew 11

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 25-30) "At that time Jesus said, 'I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure. All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.' "

My Thoughts

Here in Matthew, Jesus talks about giving rest to those who are weary and burdened. He says to take His yoke upon ourselves and learn from Him and we will find rest for our souls. The word 'yoke' in this case means servitude; for us to be in servitude to Jesus. That is not a bad thing because we are supposed to serve Him, and because He says it is easy and the burden light.

Just as we need rest physically and mentally, we also need rest spiritually. Spiritual rest is different because you don't get it from sleeping. You can rest your spirit by spending time in God's word and spending time talking to God. Jesus says, "Come to me all you who are weary and heavy burdened and I will give you rest." We get rest for our spirits from Him, but that is not limited to only our spirits. I have asked God many times for extra rest at night, when I've gone to bed late or had a stressful day.

Our spirits can become stressed and overwhelmed just like our bodies and minds. That stress becomes worse if we are not spending time with God and trusting in Him. Just like we need to sleep regularly or our health will suffer, we need to talk to God regularly or our spirits will suffer.

The 'burden' that we get from God is not really a burden. Not a bad one at least. It is more like an honor. What I believe is that it is God's love. The reason it could be considered a burden is because He gives us so much that we cannot hold all of it. We have to give some away. That is His yoke; it is easy to give His love away, that is all we need to do. God doesn't care one bit about how many good deeds you perform, how many people you've brought to Him, He doesn't even care about the quality of the work that you do for Him. What He cares about is that you are faithful to Him and that you do what you do for Him because that is what you want.

Remember to talk to God regularly and to make time to read His word. There are no rules about how, when, where, etcetera you talk to Him. Just do. You need that rest more than you need the rest you get from sleeping.

Previous PostNext Post


Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.


Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!

Heart Page Buttons YouTube Twitter Facebook Pinterest Tumblr Google Plus Bible Reading List Main Website