Saturday 27 August 2016

Bible Reading #206 - Blessed by Giving

Blessed by Giving

Genesis 23

Every day I feel is a blessing from God. And I consider it a new beginning. Yeah, everything is Beautiful. - Prince
I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 11-12) " 'No, sir, listen to me. I am giving you the field together with the cave that is in it. My people are witnesses that I am giving it to you. Bury your wife!' Abraham bowed down again in front of the people in that region." (v. 16) "Abraham agreed to Ephron's terms. So he weighed out for Ephron the amount stated in front of the Hittites: ten pounds of silver at the current merchants' exchange rate."

My Thoughts

Abraham's wife Sarah had died and he did not have a place to bury her. He went to the Hittites and asked them for some land so that he could bury Sarah. Long story short, Ephron wanted to just give the land to Abraham, Abraham wanted to pay for it. They went back and forth because of this, What would you do?

If you wanted something that was someone else's and you were prepared to pay them for it, but they just wanted to give it to you for nothing, what would you do? Has that ever happened to you? What did you do? It has happened to me and usually I just accept it.

Actually, last week my mom and I went to Starbucks. We went through the drive through. We got 2 frapps with a lot of stuff in 'em, and it ended up costing around $14. Mom had her Starbucks card with some amount of money on it, probably just short of the amount needed. She told the cashier that and that she'd pay the rest with debit if there wasn't enough. The cashier asked if she had tap on her card because the machine was broken otherwise. Mom said no. Her card doesn't have tap. So the cashier did something absolutely amazing. She didn't even check how much was on the Starbucks card, but she just gave it to us for free... both drinks, costing close to $14, completely free. It was amazing! Mom of course was like "Are you sure?" She said yes. We were both amazed and couldn't stop smiling! It was a blessing for sure!

I totally understand Abraham wanting to pay for the land. I probably would've wanted to do the same thing. We tend to make these kinds of decisions based on how much the item is worth. If someone were to just give me their second house or old house for absolutely nothing, I would cry happily every time I went home pretty much! For a couple drinks, it's not as bad, but still amazing because that just doesn't happen.

That makes me wonder, does the size or value or anything else affect this? I don't think it really does unless you make it so, and you shouldn't. I think if someone is wanting to bless you, that's exactly all it is. Personally, if I'm going to give something to someone, I' doing so because I want to and because I want to bless them.

I think sometimes you just have to be grateful that someone is wanting to bless you by giving you something for nothing. If they don't want you to pay them for it, find another way to pay them. Do something from the heart. Maybe just accept it, be very grateful and don't do anything to make them regret blessing you. When this happens to me, I tend to think "I don't deserve it... How can I change myself so that I do deserve it?"

Don't take it too far. Change yourself for the better if you want to or if you feel God leading you to, but accept the blessing either way. If you really feel that you don't deserve it and you're overcome with guilt, that is not from God.

Next time someone gives you something for no reason and for nothing in return, think about it. Think about how you can do the same thing for someone else. Think of it as paying it forward.




Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

1 comment :

  1. I so much like the idea of paying it forward! Awesome Starbucks story!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!