Wednesday 10 February 2016

Daily Bible Reading with DragoNate #141

Let the Dead Bury Their Dead

Matthew 8

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 21-22) "Another disciple said to him, 'Lord, first let me go and bury my father.' But Jesus told him, 'Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.' "

My Thoughts

What does Jesus mean to 'let the dead bury their own dead?' It doesn't make sense! Dead people can't do anything, let alone bury other dead people. They are not alive anymore; that's what 'dead' means, right? To not be alive?

Okay, so you have probably guessed or thought or realized by now that Jesus isn't necessarily speaking completely literally. I mean He is, but He's kinda not at the same time. Don't get lost on me. You remember about eternal life right? Also about being alive in Christ and dead in sin? Well, I believe this is more what Jesus is talking about.

He is referring to those who are dead in Him to bury their own dead. Those who are alive in Jesus have eternal life, so even when they die physically, they are not really dead. So why bury someone who isn't dead? Exactly, there is no need to because you don't bury living people.

Those who are alive in Jesus are dead in sin and they have eternal life with Jesus. Those who do not have eternal life are not alive in Jesus when they die, they die. So when Jesus says, "Follow me , and let the dead bury their own dead." He is saying the word 'dead' twice, but both have a different meaning.

The first time He says it, 'dead' refers to those who are dead in Him and do not have eternal life. The second time, 'dead' refers to someone who has become not alive at all. Those who are alive in Jesus have no need to be 'buried' when they die. I also believe that the word 'bury' used here doesn't necessarily mean to put in an actual grave, because it doesn't make sense not to, really.

I believe that bury here means more to forget or put completely behind you. If someone dies and they are not buried in the ground, it will be very unpleasant. That is why I think of this.

Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!