Monday 19 October 2015

Dream First Impression


Dream is a game about dreams and dreaming. Obviously. I apologize, I couldn't resist. Okay, serious time. Dream is game about a young man named Howard. Howard has lucid dreams all the time. If you don't know what a lucid dream is, it is a dream in which you are aware. You are aware that you are dreaming, yet you are still asleep and dreaming, which allows you to control everything that happens in your dream. I've had couple dreams like this myself, and I have to say that it is really an amazing experience!

Back to Dream, the game I mean, where were we? Oh, yes, so you play as Howard. There isn't much you can do while awake, at least, not that I am aware of. The main point of the game is to go to sleep and figure out the puzzles that Howard gives himself in his head. The puzzles really aren't that difficult, but with me playing? Apparently the rules change slightly. I swear, I love puzzle games like this and I love solving things, but that doesn't mean I'm super great at it! Games like this somehow know that it is me playing and so they intentionally make it harder for me to play them, just to torture me.

If you want proof, I suggest you take a look at my first Dream Nightmare video. That won't be posted here because that is in the middle of the story. I will post my first video on Dream here for you to watch if you'd like, and then you can continue to watch more of the series.

Anyway, puzzles, torture, check. The story of Dream isn't quite direct. You play a lot and explore some and solve puzzles in each act until you come to the next nightmare. After the nightmare, you get a chunk of the story served to you. This is an interesting way to deliver story, and I actually like it. It's not normal because there are such long periods in between the story chunks, and even longer if you're me. It puts more emphasis on gameplay rather than just story, but it still implements bite-sized bits to the story as you play.

One thing I really like in games, and in real life actually, is collecting. In Dream, there is a collecting mechanic. There are a bunch of paintings for you to collect and the biggest thing, I think, is the dream journal entries. They are little pages of Howard's dream journal that have information on what certain things mean in a dream. They always coincide with your surroundings at the time of reading them. There are also other little trinkets that you collect as you play, which are then displayed on pedestals in the main dream area. That's my favorite thing about collecting: putting them on display!

Overall, I have to say that Dream is a great experience. As always, I really enjoy the story, and the gameplay is very intriguing, as well as complementary to the story part of the game. I definitely recommend Dream to anyone who likes a more relaxed and/or puzzle type game. Thanks for reading, you can take a look at my first video on Dream below and if you like it and want to see more, click my name to head over to my YouTube channel and subscribe!










1 comment :

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!

Heart Page Buttons YouTube Twitter Facebook Pinterest Tumblr Google Plus Bible Reading List Main Website