Thursday 8 October 2015

Submerged Endgame Review

Well, I guess this is goodbye to Submerged. I want to start this off by saying that Submerged was an incredibly beautiful game and a wonderful experience. I absolutely enjoyed the game and recommend it to anyone and everyone. The story was very immersive in my opinion, even though there were no words to tell the story whatsoever. The entire story is shown through pictures and interaction instead of being told by voice. I believe that this is a great way to tell a story. Voice and narration are not bad at all, but sometimes it's a lot like listening to someone tell you the story.

Actually, don't get me wrong, having someone read to you, whether it's a story or not, is a wonderful experience! I don't want to ruin the story of Submerged here for anyone who has not played it themselves. My videos will ruin the story, but that's your choice to watch me or anyone else play it. I will say that the story is kind of sad. Submerged is based heavily around exploration, and you pick up parts of the city's story, and Miku and Taku, as you go along, but there is no pressure on you.

Submerged starts out sad, with Miku's little brother, Taku, being wounded as they come in on a small fishing boat. Each time you collect and bring back supplies for Taku, you get a bit more of the story which tells the how Taku was injured and all the events leading up to where they are now. Even the story of the city, what happened to it and the people that lived there is sad. It is obvious why the game is called Submerged!

This game is exploration based, as I said before, and there is absolutely no combat in it. There are a few different creatures, however. One of which in particular I named 'plant-people' because that is what the pictures looked like to me. These 'plant-people' seem to stalk you as you play. They show up on rooftops as Miku returns to Taku. There are a couple of cutscenes with these guys in them, one in mid-game and one end-game, where they do more than watch.

The 'plant-people' were actually scary at first, then I just wanted to know what they were. Sometimes, as you're exploring a building, they appear out of nowhere and jump off a cliff, dive into the ocean, walk around corners and vanish, or literally vanish in front of your eyes. One of them actually walked into a pile a rubble and turned invisible!

Of the other creatures we meet while exploring in Submerged, there are a few most important in my playthrough. There are dancing birds who are always undulating on the ledges, having their little bird dance parties all the time. There's also Momma whale who mostly stayed by Taku and protected him while Miku went out to get supplies, Daddy whale who was a little shy and doesn't like to say hi or bye and of course, their babies who like to accompany Miku on her boating trips around the city. The last one we meet in the last video, and that is Grandfather whale, the biggest of the bunch and the one responsible for those creepy noises I was hearing at the top of the crane.

In my last video, I of course have to say goodbye to the whale family, which is honestly a little hard. It's a bit silly, I know, it's just a game, but when the story is as immersive as Submerged is and you meet all these guys and give them names and stuff, it becomes a little sad.



The ending of Submerged was very surprising. I was expecting one thing to happen, aside from Taku being healed of course, and the game did something completely different and totally unexpected. That is what makes a great ending, when you expect one thing and receive another. It definitely adds to the immersion and attachment to the story. All in all, I have to say that Submerged was such a great experience and I am so very glad that I played this game. It's going to be a bit of a nostalgic thing now, with the whale family, and you can see them all right here. A big family photo-op to remember the whale family forever.


Baby whale joining Miku on a trip

Momma whale protecting Taku
Daddy whale being shy


Grandfather whale doing a tail slap

If you want to watch the last video of Submerged where we say our final goodbyes, it is just down below. Be sure to take a look at my channel for the rest of the Submerged videos as well.

Thank you for reading and I hope to see you here again soon, Godbless!



1 comment :

  1. I watched all the videos and I did get caught up in the story and how good it is and how sad it is to say bye at the end. I won't ruin it for everyone but the ending is definitely not what I expected. I recommend that you watch this series from the beginning and not ruin the ending by watching it first, you will be pleasantly surprised and get very immersed in the story. Great job done on DragoNate's part for bringing this story to light. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!

Heart Page Buttons YouTube Twitter Facebook Pinterest Tumblr Google Plus Bible Reading List Main Website