Saturday 3 September 2016

Bible Reading #208 - Instant Gratification

Instant Gratification

Genesis 25

Every day I feel is a blessing from God. And I consider it a new beginning. Yeah, everything is Beautiful. - Prince
I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 30-33) "So Esau said to Jacob, 'Let me have the whole pot of red stuff to eat--that red stuff--I'm exhausted.' This is why he was called Edom. Jacob responded, 'First, sell me your rights as firstborn.' 'I'm about to die.' Esau said. 'What good is my inheritance to me?' 'First, swear an oath,' Jacob said. So Easu swore an oath to him and sold him his rights as firstborn."

My Thoughts

Okay, so I think the main point here is to think before you act. Simple as that. End of post, see you tomorrow... Seriously though, that is so much easier said that done. Most of us struggle with thinking before we act, especially when we aren't thinking straight due to adrenaline, emotional highs, tiredness or other situations. So how can we improve our self-control and better think before acting? By practicing now, of course, when we are thinking straight.

You want a quick snack and the chocolate or candy or chips are easily accessible? Well, grab a handful. Then no more. I'd rather eat some of what I'm craving than eat around it, eat more stuff, and still crave the junk food. What about when it comes to sinful desires and temptations? Grab a little bit, and then no more? No! Of course not! There's a difference. Eating candy or other junk food is not sinful. It becomes sinful when you gorge yourself.

Esau was not thinking straight because he was so hungry and exhausted. All he wanted was food so that he wouldn't die of hunger, though that was probably an exaggeration, which is why I think it was instant gratification. When Jacob asked him to sell his birthright to him, Esau agreed because he wanted the food that Jacob had made. I don't know why Esau didn't get something else quick to eat so that he wouldn't die...

We make so many decisions every single day that we can't really count them all. Some of those decisions are tougher than others and some have greater consequences. If we don't think about the consequences of our actions, then we suffer them. We all make choices that we are not proud of and would change if we could. I always say that as long as you learn from it and make better choices in the future, then it's not in vain.

I made a choice tonight to do something that wasted my time for writing this blog and I don't feel good about it. I know that God has forgiven me and I have forgiven myself. I know God has restored me and that He is teaching me to make better choices. Though your choices may make you feel sick afterward, like you have just fallen so far from God that it'll take you a while to get back there and that His blessings are withdrawn from you because of it, let me tell you: 
That is not true.

Earlier on, I said with a craving of junk food to have a little and then no more. Maybe have something healthier with it too. When it comes to sinful temptations, we cannot follow the same path. What we must do is remember God, His blessings and His love. Remember those who love you and whom you love. Remember what those sinful desires lead to. It would be better to find something to replace that action. Something more stimulating and energizing and joyful.




Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

1 comment :

  1. I agree that if you are craving a specific thing to eat, eat it! Don't eat around it because you end up eating more and feeling icky.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!